Luxury Figures

The Moncler group shows strong growth

Italian group Moncler's first quarter figures confirm strong sales growth, up 60% on the same period in 2021 to €590 million. The Stone Island brand, acquired by the group at the end of 2020 (and consolidated at April 2021) jumped 32% in the first quarter of 2022.

Moncler brand revenues for the first quarter of 2022 equal to EUR 473.4 million, up 30% compared to the first quarter of 2021 (Shutterstock)

The Moncler group has reported a net increase in results for the first quarter of 2022, driven by a 30% increase in sales compared to 2021 of its iconic Moncler brand, which accounts for 80% of the group's total revenues, at €473 million. The brand recorded its strongest growth in Europe (EMEA) at +48%, followed by the Americas with +36% growth and finally Asia with sales up 15% in the first quarter, despite the impact of the pandemic which forced the closure of 30% of the Moncler shop network in China. With the DTC (Direct To Consumer) network accounting for nearly 80% of Moncler's overall balance sheet, it is easy to understand the impact of these closures on results.

But it is the Stone Island brand - acquired by the group at the end of December 2020 from Rivetex (70%) and whose sale was consolidated in April 2021 by the purchase of the remaining 30% from the Temasek company - which also enabled the group to post good results. In the first quarter, sales of the outdoor clothing brand jumped by 32% to 116 million euros, particularly driven by the transformation of the wholesale distribution network into a retail network in Korea, the leading Asian market for Stone Island. 

Moncler S.p.A. Group CEO Remo Ruffini remained cautious in announcing these figures in his official statement: "The year 2022 has started with important results for our Group. During the quarter, revenues increased by 60% compared to the previous year, with a strong contribution from our two brands. (...) Yet, as I often say when I comment on the first quarter, the year has only just begun. Especially as the health emergency continues in some parts of the world and the conflict in Ukraine continues. However, I remain optimistic about the future. We have brands with great potential and uncharted territory (...)."

Share the post

Keep reading

Banks conquer the metaverse

Banks conquer the metaverse

After JP Morgan on Decentraland and HSBC on The Sandbox this spring, it’s Standard Chartered’s turn to invest in the metaverse.

By Eva Morletto

Cartier joins the Carbon Neutral Challenge

Cartier joins the Carbon Neutral Challenge

The Carbon Neutral Challenge project highlights the need for companies to urgently implement solutions to limit climate change and biodiversity loss.

By Eva Morletto



Be notified of the latest publications and analyses